My Style Exercise

The First Short Story of My Life: 'Passengers'

2009. március 23., hétfő

Roles and Plays




Hello My Reader,

I’m back again, with a new inspiration. In almost every cases I can’t point at something, which gave me an impulse, but today I’m able to do this. Now, I can tell you exactly: It was Lilla Gazdóf, and I would like to thank her for the idea of this post. ;-)

In one of her latest posts (’The Show Must Go On’), she wrote about the masks we wear every day. According to her, we always have the most appropriate way of behaving ourselves in every situation, and sometimes we can’t be just ’us’ as we would like to.

I think she’s right, but I see this issue from another point of view, that I would like to share with you. 8-) In my way of thinking, these –how shall I call?- ’behaving patterns’ aren’t real masks, but these are the ’roles’ in our Life. The two expressions would sound like synonyms, but they are a bit different.

In my personal opinion, it’s an absolutely natural thing, that we behave in different ways in certain situations, and we should never feel ashamed of it. If we would like to analyse this question we should make a distinction between people: Now, I would like to talk about the ’honest person’ who doesn’t act like being someone else out of fashion. I think most of the people belong to this group (or at least I hope).

In our Life, we have an infinite number of roles. For example, there’re certain situations, in which I’m a student, or a daughter, a Friend, a sister, a Fellow, a relative, a stranger and the list is endless. Unconsciously, I behave differently in different cases. These roles are parts of my personality, and they’re always ’ME’, but just from another aspect. They’re so equal, that I can’t tell you, which is the ’most authentic one’, and to which I can compare the others. All of them are honestly ’Dóry’, but ’Dóry as something’. I can’t control these parts, and if I was able to, I would never do it, because they’re spontaneous and natural. If you asked my Friends, they would introduce me in another way than my Parents, because they know other parts of my personality. Some of them would probably say, that I’m very serious and always prepared for everything, but the others would tell you that I’m a hopelessly disorganised person. I think this unknowable complexity of personality makes every human being a real character.

When I was about 10 or 12 years old I was too young to understand how personality works. I was always worried about my reactions and the way I behaved in certain situations. I thought, that I wasn’t ’natural’, but actually I did. I just didn’t know that a person can behave in several ways, and I wondered why I was more foolish among my Friends than with my Parents, because I wanted my Parents to know me in details like my Friends. After some years I acknowledged that every person’s personality includes roles, and it didn’t make me feel worried anymore. I’m aware of that my Parents know me as well as they can, and when I will ’pass away’ they won’t be totally surprised when they’ll have a conversation with my Friends on what kind of person I was. It’s a very reassuring idea.

I don’t know what you think about this ’personality issue’, but I would be very curious of your point of view, because you’re another person with another complex, whole world in his/her Soul. ;-)

I Wish You Everything Good and Have a Very Nice Day!

Dóry 8-)

2 megjegyzés:

Névtelen írta...

I'm happy that I was able to insipre you. :)

Dóry8-))) írta...

Hi Lilla,

Yes, you were! ;-) Thank You for it!

Have a Very Nice, Enjoyable Spring Break!

Me